The city administration is based in the Mühlhausen city hall. The city hall, which was first mentioned in 1310, is located in the alleys of the medieval town between the upper and lower town – on Ratsstraße, to be specific. It is not a magnificent, dominating building, but rather an unobtrusive ensemble of historic buildings in the heart of the city. An important historical part of the city hall is the Imperial City Archives with their permanent exhibition on the city's history. The growing demands on the administration in the 15th and 16th centuries required an organised archive to be established, which was housed on the mezzanine level of the South Wing from 1615. The interior furnishings of the historical archive rooms are especially impressive. They date back to the years from 1615 to 1648 and have been preserved in their original state. The files and city records are still kept in cabinets and chests from the period when Mühlhausen was an imperial city.