Divi Blasii Church

Divi Blasii Church (Church of St. Blasius) is the main church (Hauptkirche) in Mühlhausen's district Unterstadt. It was built in the 13th and 14th centuries by the German Order (Deutscher Orden) and was the first big church in Gothic style in central Germany. Elements of its architectural style are the same as those used in French cathedrals and thus reveal that it once may have been used as the bishopric seat of Kristans von Samland, who had initiated the building of a new church there. Later, in 1707/1708, Johann Sebastian Bach worked in the church as organist.
Its new organ, built in 1959, followed Bach's organ arrangements. For tours of the church with examples of organ music please contact Tourist-Information, Tel. 0049 (0) 3601 40477-0.

[Source: Bernd Wedemeyer, Die Blasiuskirche in Mühlhausen und die thüringische Sakralbaukunst zwischen 1270 und 1350, 2 Vol., Berlin 1997]

 

Opened from easter till 31st October!

 

Admission prices
Admission by appointment with the Gemeindebüro, Kristanplatz 1.
Fees: by way of alms

Plan a Journey:
Travel fast, cheap and environmentally friendly to Mühlhausen and enjoy your trip from the beginning.

The travel information of Deutsche Bahn provides train, tram and bus schedules as well as information on walking distances between public transport stations.

Divi Blasii Church
Divi Blasii Kirche
adress
Untermarkt
99974 Mühlhausen
phonenumber
0049 (0) 3601 / 446516
internetadress
www.kirchenkreis-muehlhausen.de
Opening hours
 
Mon - Fri 
10am - 5pm
 
Sat 
10am - 5pm
 
Sun 
11am - 5pm