The Mühlhausen law book, one of the oldest legal texts in the German language, documented Jewish inhabitants in the imperial city of Mühlhausen around 1220. A synagogue was mentioned in writing around 1380. The building that can be visited today was built from 1840 onwards, was desecrated on 9 November 1938 and handed over to the Thuringian Jewish Community after 1945. Efforts to preserve the building were crowned with its rededication in November 1998. The synagogue and community hall can be used for religious services.
The special guided tour offered by the Tourist Information Mühlhausen on 15.10.2023 deals with the Jewish history of the town. The meeting point is 2 pm in front of the entrance to the synagogue at Jüdenstraße 24. Pre-registration for the tour is required by calling 03601 40 47 70.
Price per person: € 10.00