LISTEN

All Saints Church Museum

The All Saints Church was built before 1287 as an act of atonement for the chapel of Mühlhausen Imperial Castle, which had been destroyed by the citizenry before. With the demolition of the royal castle, the town gained the status of a Free Imperial City and was legally subordinate only to the Holy Roman Emperor until its conquest by Prussia in 1802.

The distinct Gothic architecture of the former chapel dates back to this period, but it is also the result of an extension in the first half of the 14th century. The All Saints Church also played a significant role in the events surrounding the Peasant’s War. Representatives of the rebels, the inner-city opposition and the existing council met here in mid-March 1525 to negotiate its future composition. In this way, the All Saints’ Church is once again closely linked to an important process of Mühlhausen’s urban history.

In the 18th century, the now Protestant parish church was remodelled. The tower, which is a prominent feature of Mühlhausen's townscape, also received its magnificent baroque dome at that time. Between 1724 and 1754, the interior was furnished with galleries, a pulpit altar, and a painted wooden barrel vault. The Holy Trinity appears in the centre of the ceiling painting, surrounded by the four evangelists and numerous angels playing music.

Since its thorough renovation in the 1980s, the building has been used as a museum.

Address

All Saints Church Museum
Steinweg 37
99974 Mühlhausen
Germany/Thuringia

Phone: +49 3601 85660
E-Mail: info@mhl-museen.de
Web: https://www.mhl-museen.de
not publicly accessible

Pets not allowed

no free entrance

Smoking not allowed

Photography not allowed

no sanitary facility

Information for visitors

Temporarily closed

further information

Distance to public transport:
500 Meter
Guided tours
no guided tours

Public parking facilities in the vicinity

P6 Parking lot "Hanfsack"
86 Places (Car)

This might be interesting for you

LEGAL INFORMATION

Name of company

Mühlhausen Museums, Director Dr. Thomas T. Müller
Kristanplatz 7
99974 Mühlhausen

Phone: +49 3601 85660
E-Mail: info@mhl-museen.de

Intermediary

Wirtschaftsbetriebe Mühlhausen GmbH
Windeberger Landstraße 73
99974 Mühlhausen

Phone: +49 3601 404770
E-Mail: service@touristinfo-muehlhausen.de

Disclaimer

The content of our pages has been created with the utmost care. The site also contains links to external websites of third parties on whose content we have no influence. We cannot assume any liability for the correctness, completeness and up-to-dateness of the contents and links. Click here for further information.