Historical town hall

When around 1270/80 the foundation was laid for the first town hall, Mühlhausen had changed fundamentally since it had been founded in the 12th century. Next to the old town, around the lower market and the Church of Blaise the Divine, the Neustadt (“new town”) had developed, centred around the upper market and St. Mary’s Church. Since the mid-13th century a city wall enclosed this increasingly densely-built area. In the wake of a conflict with royal officials the up-and-coming town had formed a council representing its citizens, which had become the de-facto ruler of the Imperial City.

As a symbol of this new rule the council hall was built on the border between the new town and the old town of Mühlhausen. The ground floor of this building, with its characteristic Ratsstraße drive through, has been preserved to the present day. After a fire the upper floor was rebuilt and significantly enlarged by an annexe in the west. Since 1569 further extensions were added, resulting in a building complex that combines various architectural and interior styles. The Rathaushalle (the representative assembly hall) on the upper floor of the Gothic-style core structure is embellished with ceiling paintings from the 14th and 18th century. The even more opulent Ratsstube (the council chamber) is decorated with murals from the 15th and 17th century depicting the emperor and the Imperial Estates.

The late 16th century south annexe houses the municipal archive containing the records pertaining to the period when Mühlhausen was an Imperial City. To this day the archive has kept its original furnishings. Many of the oldest parts of the building were refurbished after this period. In 1911 the staircase was added, its windows commemorating prominent families and industries of what then was a flourishing industrial city. The entrance hall was decorated to demonstrate Mühlhausen’s affiliation to the Province of Saxony, which in turn was part of the Kingdom of Prussia.

After 1945 the focus shifted to Thomas Müntzer’s work and influence on the town hall, exemplified by the addition of a large bust at the bottom of the staircase, a quote from the town chronicle on the first landing, and a large painting in the assembly hall. Over several centuries the town hall was the political and administrative centre and the main representative building of Mühlhausen and its citizens. Today it remains an impressive architectural monument serving as the city’s “front room” and venue for meetings, cultural events, and receptions.

Guided tours of the premises of the historic town hall are available on request from the Tourist Information Mühlhausen, tel. 03601 404770 or at


Historical town hall
Ratsstraße 19
99974 Mühlhausen

Phone: +49 3601 4520
10:00 - 14:00 hrs
10:00 - 14:00 hrs
10:00 - 14:00 hrs
10:00 - 14:00 hrs
10:00 - 14:00 hrs
10:00 - 14:00 hrs

valid from: 01.08.2023 - 31.12.2025
publicly accessible

free entrance

Photography not allowed


Information for visitors

Changed opening hours on holidays, closing days and during events

further information

Distance to public transport:
500 Meter
Guided tours
guided tour (only) with registration

Public parking facilities in the vicinity

P2 Parking lot "An der Burg"
58 Places (Car)
P1 Parking lot "Blobach"
192 Places (Car)
Bus parking lot at the "Blobach"
8 Places (Bus or Coach)
Parking lot Entenbühl
180 Places (Car)

This might be interesting for you

Legal information

Name of company

Mühlhausen City Council, Lord Mayor Dr. Johannes Bruns
Ratsstr. 25
99974 Mühlhausen

Phone: +49 3601 452115


Wirtschaftsbetriebe Mühlhausen GmbH
Windeberger Landstraße 73
99974 Mühlhausen


Tel.: +49 3601 404770


The content of our pages has been created with the utmost care. The site also contains links to external websites of third parties on whose content we have no influence. We cannot assume any liability for the correctness, completeness and up-to-dateness of the contents and links. Click here for further information.