Stone witnesses of time 

Our highlights

While walking through the old town of Mühlhausen numerous half-timbered houses as well as other beautiful buildings of old standing will catch your eye.

Lovingly renovated, many appear in new splendour. The fact that Mühlhausen with its medieval architecture is part of the German Half-Timbered Houses Route from the Harz Mountains to the Thuringian Forest speaks for itself.

Half-timbered house "Zellscher Hof"

The "Zellsche Hof" is a town house with an eventful history and is located in Mühlhausen's Holzstraße.

about the history:

The "Zellsche Hof" was built in 1658-60 in place of the town courtyard of the Eichsfeld monastery Zella,...

show more

The "Zellsche Hof" is a town house with an eventful history and is located in Mühlhausen's Holzstraße.

about the history:

The "Zellsche Hof" was built in 1658-60 in place of the town courtyard of the Eichsfeld monastery Zella, which burned down in 1649. It was a model for many Mühlhausen's town houses and in the 18th century a gymnastic and taxi post office. With the secularization of the monastery in 1810, the building became private property. The two rosettes carved in stone are a reminder of the old brewing rights in Mühlhausen. In 1937, this historic building housed a car wash, a repair workshop and a petrol station.

Address

Holzstraße 1
99974 Mühlhausen

House of the Butcher's guild

In 1577/78 the predecessor of the Meat House was built with the demolished stones of St. John's Church. The first floor housed the meat banks. On the upper floor there was a hall for the fair stalls of the cloth merchants....

show more

In 1577/78 the predecessor of the Meat House was built with the demolished stones of St. John's Church. The first floor housed the meat banks. On the upper floor there was a hall for the fair stalls of the cloth merchants. Theater was also performed here. In 1880-1882 the new "Imperial Post and Telegraph Office" was built on the site of the former guild house of the butchers. In 1883 the new post office building on the Obermarkt was put into operation. The building remained a post office until modern times.

Address

Obermarkt 1
99974 Mühlhausen

Brotlaube ("bread booth")

Not far from St. Mary's Church is the Obermarkt with two representative buildings. The massive baroque structure of the Brotlaube closes the Obermarkt to the west. The building was erected from 1714 to 1723 over a five-bay...

show more

Not far from St. Mary's Church is the Obermarkt with two representative buildings. The massive baroque structure of the Brotlaube closes the Obermarkt to the west. The building was erected from 1714 to 1723 over a five-bay vaulted cellar from the 1st half of the 14th century, on the site of the old upper arbor, and got its name from the bakers' stalls.

Address

Obermarkt 21
99974 Mühlhausen

Teutonic Order Court of the Upper Town

The house was the seat of the Teutonic Order lords in the upper town from the middle of the 13th to the middle of the 16th century. From February 1525 to May 1525 it became the residence of Thomas Müntzer. The reformer, who was...

show more

The house was the seat of the Teutonic Order lords in the upper town from the middle of the 13th to the middle of the 16th century. From February 1525 to May 1525 it became the residence of Thomas Müntzer. The reformer, who was famous alongside Martin Luther, preached in St. Mary's Church opposite and made the town the focus of German history at the time of the Peasants' War. After the departure of the Teutonic Order, the building became the parsonage of St. Mary's until 1975.

Friedrich August Stüler was born here on 28.01.1800. Stüler was one of the most important architects of his time. In addition to the New Museum in Berlin, the "architect to the king" Friedrich Wilhelm IV designed numerous Brandenburg churches and manor houses, but the busy Mühlhausen architect was also regularly active internationally.

Today the administrative headquarters of the Mühlhausen church district are based in the building.

Address

Bei der Marienkirche 9
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered house at Steinweg 84

The building is a lovingly renovated half-timbered house in the shopping street of Mühlhausen, the Steinweg. It captivates with an atypical and ornate color scheme.

about the history:

The half-timbered house was built after 1689....

show more

The building is a lovingly renovated half-timbered house in the shopping street of Mühlhausen, the Steinweg. It captivates with an atypical and ornate color scheme.

about the history:

The half-timbered house was built after 1689. On the 1st floor you can find a unique setting of marbled woodwork with continuous superimposed house lettering. This is unique in the region of northern Thuringia. Of interest to half-timbering connoisseurs is a palmette bar between the chipped beam heads and above it a continuous egg bar with relief. The half-timbering was uncovered in 1993.

Address

Steinweg 84
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered building "Narrowest house" at Steinweg 78

The "narrowest house" in Mühlhausen is located at Steinweg 78. The width is just 4.25 meters. 70 steps lead from the cellar to the roof. The house has a half-timbered facade worth seeing.

about the history:

The house was built in...

show more

The "narrowest house" in Mühlhausen is located at Steinweg 78. The width is just 4.25 meters. 70 steps lead from the cellar to the roof. The house has a half-timbered facade worth seeing.

about the history:

The house was built in the 17th century and rebuilt in 1906. For many decades it was used by hatters as business premises. Since 2006, the building has been home to "Die Goldschmiede" (The Goldsmiths), a manufactory that preserves and continues the old craft tradition of jewellery making.

Address

Steinweg 78
99974 Mühlhausen

Art Nouveau building at Steinweg 33

One of the most interesting and valuable examples of Art Nouveau is the remarkable building at Steinweg 33. Actually, the building is a conventional gabled house with a half-timbered bay. However, the Art Nouveau elements on the...

show more

One of the most interesting and valuable examples of Art Nouveau is the remarkable building at Steinweg 33. Actually, the building is a conventional gabled house with a half-timbered bay. However, the Art Nouveau elements on the gable outline and window frames give the house its special character.

about the history:

The house was built in 1902 in Art Nouveau style. It has a half-timbered bay window with colored windows and a "beehive" under the bay window (at the corner of the house). From 1930 to 2017, the building housed the Beyreiß leather goods store. From the beginning, the store included a workshop. Suitcases of all kinds and satchels were made there, but mainly repairs were made.

"Koffer- Beyreiß" has always remained in private ownership as one of the few private traders in Mühlhausen.

Address

Steinweg 33
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered house "Mühlhäuser Hof"

The "Mühlhäuser Hof" was built on the site of the former Dominican monastery in 1689 after the great city fire. In the 19th century, the building housed a brewery with a bar and a restaurant. Since 2006, the "Mühlhäuser Hof" has...

show more

The "Mühlhäuser Hof" was built on the site of the former Dominican monastery in 1689 after the great city fire. In the 19th century, the building housed a brewery with a bar and a restaurant. Since 2006, the "Mühlhäuser Hof" has been a four-star hotel.

about the history:

The building Steinweg 65 is an Ackerbürgerhaus of a full citizen with brewing rights from the year 1689 (inscription). The farmstead Steinweg 65/ Breitenstraße 1 was the location of a brewery until the 1st World War. The initial development after 1689 may have consisted of older building remains in addition to the main house; a complete, closed four-sided courtyard was built around 1800 at the latest. Adjacent to the courtyard are the ruins of the former Preacher's Church of St. Peter and Paul. The high and reinforced attic over three levels (with a lying chair) indicates a tannery use.

Address

Steinweg 65
99974 Mühlhausen

Former tanners' guild house

The tanners were an important branch of trade in Mühlhausen. The nine white tanners and the 39 tanners had their houses mostly on the various street streams of the town. The tanners' houses in Kuttelgasse and the tanners' guild...

show more

The tanners were an important branch of trade in Mühlhausen. The nine white tanners and the 39 tanners had their houses mostly on the various street streams of the town. The tanners' houses in Kuttelgasse and the tanners' guild house on Entenbühl still bear witness to the importance of the former guild. The building of the former tanners' guild house essentially dates back to 1689. The building was acquired by the Demme tanner family probably in 1744 (keystone above the door). Already in 1752 the eaves building was extended by the 2nd floor. A further extension up to the ridge took place in 1887. The house, which was partly in danger of collapsing, was extensively renovated in 1999/2000. It shines in new splendor and as a viewer one gets an idea of what the entire tanners' district could look like.

Address

Entenbühl 3
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered house at Jakobistraße 8

This house worth seeing is located in a residential area in the old town of Mühlhausen that is not heavily frequented. In the immediate vicinity are prefabricated buildings from the GDR era, but also lovingly renovated town...

show more

This house worth seeing is located in a residential area in the old town of Mühlhausen that is not heavily frequented. In the immediate vicinity are prefabricated buildings from the GDR era, but also lovingly renovated town houses and the Mühlhausen St. Jacob's Church.

about the history:

The house was built in 1571 and is regarded in Mühlhausen as a modest offshoot of the Lower Saxon half-timbered style of the 16th century. The Lower Saxon decorative forms on the upper floor, such as sun wheels, magic knots and tracery rosettes, are striking. Furthermore, there are tooth cut and round dew rod as half-timbering on the house.

Address

Jakobistr. 8
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered house "Brauhaus zum Löwen"

The building of the Brauhaus zum Löwen on Kornmarkt has a façade that is well worth seeing and rich in detail. From 1780 it served as a pharmacy for almost 200 years and bore the name "Löwen-Apotheke". A name that was the...

show more

The building of the Brauhaus zum Löwen on Kornmarkt has a façade that is well worth seeing and rich in detail. From 1780 it served as a pharmacy for almost 200 years and bore the name "Löwen-Apotheke". A name that was the inspiration for the "Brauhaus zum Löwen". The facade and elements inside indicate the former use as a pharmacy. Today's inn with its own brewery, hotel business and a charming beer garden with a view of the Kornmarkt Church invites you to linger.

about the history:

The predecessor building, the "Löwenapotheke" was built in the 2nd half of the 16th century. The pillared hall and the neighbouring house were included in the new building from 1707-1713. In 1992/1993 a comprehensive renovation took place.

Address

Felchtaer Str. 2-4
99974 Mühlhausen

Teutonic Order court of the lower town

The former Teutonic Order Commandery of the lower town is located near the Church of Blaise the Divine. The present building received its shape in 1715/16, but includes much older components. This includes the St. Anne's Chapel...

show more

The former Teutonic Order Commandery of the lower town is located near the Church of Blaise the Divine. The present building received its shape in 1715/16, but includes much older components. This includes the St. Anne's Chapel (1290) with a very beautiful ribbed vault. Despite its already deeper location (due to medieval filling), there are still older cellars under the chapel. In 1961, earthworks even uncovered a medieval water supply and a stone oven-heater.

Today's building houses the parish office of the parishes in Mühlhausen. Church services and events take place here.

Address

Kristanplatz 1
99974 Mühlhausen

Sexton's house at the Church of Blaise the Divine

According to wood age determination, the year of construction is dated 1742. The half-timbered building, which has been largely altered on the inside, impresses on the outside with its simple half-timbered construction with...

show more

According to wood age determination, the year of construction is dated 1742. The half-timbered building, which has been largely altered on the inside, impresses on the outside with its simple half-timbered construction with flush-fitting storeys under a hipped roof. In the former "Küsterhaus" of the church community Divi-Blasii, a holiday apartment was integrated on the upper floor in 2012.

On the ground floor there is a restaurant with outdoor catering. Here you can enjoy a wonderful view of the Church of Blaise the Divine while having a delightful meal.

Address

Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Platz 3
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered house Farbenhaus-Cramer

The Farbenhaus Cramer is one of the lovingly renovated town houses on the Untermarkt and has a very beautiful inner courtyard.

about the history:

The building was constructed in 1562 from stones from the St. Nicolas' Church in...

show more

The Farbenhaus Cramer is one of the lovingly renovated town houses on the Untermarkt and has a very beautiful inner courtyard.

about the history:

The building was constructed in 1562 from stones from the St. Nicolas' Church in Görmar and the St. Daniel's Chapel near Ammern. It was opened as the first Protestant grammar school under the patronage of the Teutonic Order, but was only used until 1580. Since 1604 the building has been privately owned by various owners, and since 1961 it has been the headquarters of the Cramer company. The half-timbered storeys are hidden under plaster.

Address

Untermarkt 6
99974 Mühlhausen

Beurenhof

The Beurenhof belongs to the many worth seeing town houses at the Mühlhäuser Untermarkt. The building impresses with its lovely renovation, appealing decoration and well-kept appearance.

about the history:

The town courtyard of the...

show more

The Beurenhof belongs to the many worth seeing town houses at the Mühlhäuser Untermarkt. The building impresses with its lovely renovation, appealing decoration and well-kept appearance.

about the history:

The town courtyard of the Eichsfeld monastery Beuren, the "Bürenhof" is first mentioned in 1251. The building in its present formal appearance was most probably rebuilt in 1550. After the dissolution of the monastery, the Beurenhof returned to private ownership in 1810. Because of its large gateway, it was used for theater performances at the beginning of the 19th century, in which up to 120 visitors could take part. At the end of the 19th century, the building was used as a wine wholesaler, a stocking factory and the headquarters of the development department of the tube factory. After extensive renovation from 2008, the building now houses a retirement home.

Address

Untermarkt 7
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered house at Untermarkt 15

The half-timbered house worth seeing is located at Untermarkt 15 and has been a bakery for many centuries.

about the history:

The present building is from 1631, the plastered half-timbering with St. Andrew's crosses was uncovered...

show more

The half-timbered house worth seeing is located at Untermarkt 15 and has been a bakery for many centuries.

about the history:

The present building is from 1631, the plastered half-timbering with St. Andrew's crosses was uncovered in 1952. A long half-timbered house on the south side of the Untermarkt and the east side of the adjoining Brunnenkressstraße is evidence of special architecture. The gable end is almost six metres wide, while the building is almost twenty metres long. The "Bäckerhaus" has an inscription with the year of construction 1631, but already in 1365 Mühlhausen citizens supplied themselves here with bread and baked goods. Particularly noteworthy is the carved envious head on the corner of the house. Half-timbered elements are projections with dew rod and in the parapet fields of the upper floors tapped chairs and struts.

Address

Untermarkt 15
99974 Mühlhausen

Half-timbered house "Tilesius Haus"

The house is a gem with a richly decorated facade on Mühlhausen's Untermarkt. It shines again in new splendor after a comprehensive renovation.

about the history:

The "Tilesius House" at Untermarkt 16 was built in 1729 in rococo...

show more

The house is a gem with a richly decorated facade on Mühlhausen's Untermarkt. It shines again in new splendor after a comprehensive renovation.

about the history:

The "Tilesius House" at Untermarkt 16 was built in 1729 in rococo style. The resident Adolph Gottlieb Tilesius was the last mayor (1794-1802) of the Free Imperial City of Mühlhausen. He was buried in 1802 in the New Cemetery on Eisenacher Street.

Under the house there are still older vaulted cellars of the previous building. In the GDR era, the department of popular education of the district council was located here.

Address

Untermarkt 16
99974 Mühlhausen

Birthplace of Johann August Röbling

The house where Johann August Röbling was born is located in Görmarstraße. He was a German-American engineer and bridge builder. He became world famous as the designer of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. On September 30, 1837 he...

show more

The house where Johann August Röbling was born is located in Görmarstraße. He was a German-American engineer and bridge builder. He became world famous as the designer of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. On September 30, 1837 he received the certificate of naturalization of the USA and from then on called himself John A. Roebling.

Address

Görmarstraße 5
99974 Mühlhausen

Former "Gasthaus zum Schiffchen"

The front house was built in the middle of the 18th century and used as an inn. Afterwards it was used as a tannery until the middle of the 20th century. Today the house is in need of renovation.

show more

The front house was built in the middle of the 18th century and used as an inn. Afterwards it was used as a tannery until the middle of the 20th century. Today the house is in need of renovation.

Address

Görmarstr. 68
99974 Mühlhausen

Hauptmann's Court

After a fire in 1689, the present Hauptmannshof was rebuilt around 1700. It served as an orphanage. Today, the building houses the Städtische Wohnungsgenossenschaft (municipal housing cooperative) after a thorough renovation.

... show more

After a fire in 1689, the present Hauptmannshof was rebuilt around 1700. It served as an orphanage. Today, the building houses the Städtische Wohnungsgenossenschaft (municipal housing cooperative) after a thorough renovation.

Address

Hauptmannstr. 7
99974 Mühlhausen

Tilesius Grammar School

The school building of the former Reformrealgymnasium (Reform Real Grammar School) was built in 1927.

The Oberschule An der Burg 19 received the designation "Erweiterte Oberschule" (extended secondary school) in 1959 and from 1975...

show more

The school building of the former Reformrealgymnasium (Reform Real Grammar School) was built in 1927.

The Oberschule An der Burg 19 received the designation "Erweiterte Oberschule" (extended secondary school) in 1959 and from 1975 to 1990 it was called Erweiterte Oberschule "Erich Weinert" (extended secondary school).

Since 1 August 1991, the building has housed the state-run Tilesius Gymnasium, named after the Mühlhausen naturalist Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau.

Address

An der Burg 19
99974 Mühlhausen