Discovering former craftsmanship

Our mills

The name Mühlhausen was derived from the large number of mills we had in town. Around 1800 there were more than 20, which were driven by the streams Pöpperöder Bach, Unstrut and Breitsülze. To this day some of the sites are still preserved.

Former Antonius Mill

The structure, built in 1323, served as a mustard and grain mill for centuries. It is the last mill located on the Breitsülze and had a gradient of over four metres. Thus it had the highest gradient of all inner-city mills. The...

show more

The structure, built in 1323, served as a mustard and grain mill for centuries. It is the last mill located on the Breitsülze and had a gradient of over four metres. Thus it had the highest gradient of all inner-city mills. The former mill in the city at the Frauentor received its name from the nearby hospital St. Antony's Hospital. Today the Antonius Mill is a cosy inn. The old millstone with mill iron reminds us today of its former use.

Address

Am Frauentor 7
99974 Mühlhausen

Former castle mill

This grinding mill, first mentioned in 1405, featured a breastshot water wheel powered by a millrace that channelled water from the river Unstrut. After a turbine was installed in 1910 the mill continued to be operated until the...

show more

This grinding mill, first mentioned in 1405, featured a breastshot water wheel powered by a millrace that channelled water from the river Unstrut. After a turbine was installed in 1910 the mill continued to be operated until the 1980s. The historical building of the mill, a clinker construction, originates from the year 1902. Since 2000 the Mühlhausen Telecommunications Museum is housed in the building.

 

Address

Krümme 15
99974 Mühlhausen

Former "Klinge" mill

For sure the mill was mentioned in 1414. In the 16th century it was also called Fronmühle. The mill had three grinding gears and served as a grinding, leather rolling, tanning and oil mill. A flood damaged the mill in 1918. The...

show more

For sure the mill was mentioned in 1414. In the 16th century it was also called Fronmühle. The mill had three grinding gears and served as a grinding, leather rolling, tanning and oil mill. A flood damaged the mill in 1918. The two mill wheels were removed in 1936 and replaced by turbines. From 1936 to 2008, a knitting mill was located in the buildings. Since 2015, the seat of the Mühlenhaus Association founded here.

Address

Friedrich-Engels-Straße 21
99974 Mühlhausen

Former cross mill

The first mention of the mill was in 1316 (mill in front of the Görmartor). The mill had a slope of ¾ cubit (0.45 meters) and was a grinding mill. In 1660 it was burnt down during the Pfuhl Bridge fire. In the 19th century an oil...

show more

The first mention of the mill was in 1316 (mill in front of the Görmartor). The mill had a slope of ¾ cubit (0.45 meters) and was a grinding mill. In 1660 it was burnt down during the Pfuhl Bridge fire. In the 19th century an oil mill was added. A big fire in 1899 caused a damage of 100,000 marks in the mill. The mill was rebuilt by Wilhelm Wender (today's building). The mill ceased to operate in 1991.

Address

Kreuzgraben 1
99974 Mühlhausen

Former ball mill

The Kugelleich Mill was first mentioned in 1540. It was operated as a grinding mill as well as a bark mill. After the reconstruction and conversion into a wool spinning mill in 1840 it became steam-powered in 1866. In 1937 a...

show more

The Kugelleich Mill was first mentioned in 1540. It was operated as a grinding mill as well as a bark mill. After the reconstruction and conversion into a wool spinning mill in 1840 it became steam-powered in 1866. In 1937 a turbine was installed to generate electrical power. In 2017 the building was refurbished to make it usable for housing and commercial purposes.

Address

Hinterm neuen Brunnen
99974 Mühlhausen

Former middle mill

First mentioned in 1631, the mill was rebuilt in 1679 and served as a tanning and grinding mill. The mill wheel was present until 1958. The building complex still exists and in 1994 the mill building was renovated and apartments...

show more

First mentioned in 1631, the mill was rebuilt in 1679 and served as a tanning and grinding mill. The mill wheel was present until 1958. The building complex still exists and in 1994 the mill building was renovated and apartments were built in. In the historic south building with visible half-timbering there are commercial premises. There is also a millstone in front of the building.

Address

Zur Roten Löwenmühle 23a
99974 Mühlhausen

Former willow mill

In 1390 the mill is already mentioned. A street is named at the oil or willow mill in 1418. In the 19th century, the conversion to a stramin weaving mill took place. The willow mill was still in production until the 1950s. The...

show more

In 1390 the mill is already mentioned. A street is named at the oil or willow mill in 1418. In the 19th century, the conversion to a stramin weaving mill took place. The willow mill was still in production until the 1950s. The dilapidated building was demolished in 1969. The guest house "Weidenmühle" was handed over in 2005. In 2009 a new water wheel was put into operation as a show wheel.

Address

Puschkinstr. 3
99974 Mühlhausen

Furthmühle Grabe

Today, the Furthmühle is a neat country hotel, which presents itself in the scenic and quiet location in the heart of Thuringia and is located in Mühlhausen's district Grabe. After a long history as a mill, the lovingly renovated...

show more

Today, the Furthmühle is a neat country hotel, which presents itself in the scenic and quiet location in the heart of Thuringia and is located in Mühlhausen's district Grabe. After a long history as a mill, the lovingly renovated walls are now home to a hotel, a restaurant with a large terrace and beer garden. From Grabe, guests can reach the nearby Volkenroda Monastery via the Loccum Volkenroda pilgrimage trail. Excursions by bike are possible on the Unstrut-Werra cycle path and the Unstrut cycle path. Trips to Mühlhausen and the Hainich National Park are also possible.

Address

Furtmühle 11
99998 Mühlhausen OT Grabe

Former windmill in Windeberg

In the Mühlhausen district of Windeberg, the Windeberg windmill is located in the village street Zur Mühle 4. It was built in 1860 with a rotating roof. In 1947, the direct addition of a residential building took place. Until...

show more

In the Mühlhausen district of Windeberg, the Windeberg windmill is located in the village street Zur Mühle 4. It was built in 1860 with a rotating roof. In 1947, the direct addition of a residential building took place. Until 1957 the windmill was operated by wind power. After the wind blades were dismantled, an electric motor supplied the energy to drive the mill until 1972. A comprehensive renovation took place in 1993 and 1994. The building with the existing technology is a technical monument.

Address

Zur Mühle 5-7
99974 Mühlhausen OT Windeberg

Other historic mill sites

Former Blobach Mill

The former Blobach Mill was built in 1313 and had its location next to the Outer Frauentor. Initially, it was used as a grinding mill. Its use as a wool spinning mill and finally as a mechanical knitting mill (1898) followed. Due...

show more

The former Blobach Mill was built in 1313 and had its location next to the Outer Frauentor. Initially, it was used as a grinding mill. Its use as a wool spinning mill and finally as a mechanical knitting mill (1898) followed. Due to a fire in 1983, the building had to be demolished. It was rebuilt as a clinker brick building with apartments (Johannisstr. 18 / Blobach 1). If you take a closer look at the building, you can discover a symbolic mill wheel on the facade.

Address

Blobach 1
99974 Mühlhausen

Former barley mill

The former barley mill got its name from the production of barley. It was located at Sondershäuser Straße 1 and was situated on the mill race, outside the city wall. The production process from wheat and barley grains was similar...

show more

The former barley mill got its name from the production of barley. It was located at Sondershäuser Straße 1 and was situated on the mill race, outside the city wall. The production process from wheat and barley grains was similar to the production of groats. Therefore the mill was also known as "Hafergrützmühle". In 1774 a water wheel was added to the existing house. Later, the mill was used for many purposes, as a hemp mill, spice mashing mill, paint mill and bone mill. In September 2000 the building was demolished.

Address

Sondershäuser Str. 1
99974 Mühlhausen

Former large stone bridge mill

The former Große Steinbrückenmühle was first mentioned in 1305 and was one of the largest mills in the city, with its own millrace. The name was given in reference to the nearby Ammer Bridge (then made of stone). Built as a...

show more

The former Große Steinbrückenmühle was first mentioned in 1305 and was one of the largest mills in the city, with its own millrace. The name was given in reference to the nearby Ammer Bridge (then made of stone). Built as a grinding mill, it was later used for other trades. In 1594, the first copper hammer in Mühlhausen was installed here. In the course of history there were numerous floods and flood damage to the mill and the weir. During the 30-year war, the mill served as soldiers' quarters. From 1905, a construction business and building material trade settled on the site. In 1918 a turbine was installed. From 1969 the association of the painter's trade and today car paint shop can be found here. The present site is one of the best preserved mills in the city.

Address

An der Ammerbrücke
99974 Mühlhausen

Former field mill

The former field mill is first mentioned as a grinding mill in 1379. In the middle of the 18th century the mill was equipped with a sluice. However, the weir and the sluice were swept away several times by floods. In 1850, the...

show more

The former field mill is first mentioned as a grinding mill in 1379. In the middle of the 18th century the mill was equipped with a sluice. However, the weir and the sluice were swept away several times by floods. In 1850, the mill was converted into a yarn spinning mill, which was operated with the help of a steam engine from 1870. In 1914, a bridge was built over the millrace, the railing of which is still in place today (Friedrich-Naumann-Straße/ corner of Margaretenstraße). In the 1930s, a worsted spinning and dyeing mill was located on the site. The building was demolished in 1997 and a residential and commercial centre was built here.

Address

Feldstraße 125
99974 Mühlhausen

Former hemp sack mill

In 1250, the Pfuhlbrückenmühle (Hanfsackmühle) was mentioned for the first time, making it the oldest inner-city mill in the city. It was used as a grinding and tanning mill. It was damaged in a town fire in 1487 and burned down...

show more

In 1250, the Pfuhlbrückenmühle (Hanfsackmühle) was mentioned for the first time, making it the oldest inner-city mill in the city. It was used as a grinding and tanning mill. It was damaged in a town fire in 1487 and burned down completely in a fire in 1660.

In 1665 it was rebuilt as a hemp sack mill. In the town fire of 1689 it burned down again and was subsequently rebuilt. From 1876 a steam boiler was installed. In 1890 the mill was shut down and partially demolished. In 1984, a fire also destroyed the rest of the building. Today, a bridge can be found on the former site.

Address

Steinweg 47
99974 Mühlhausen

Former chain mill

The first mention of the former chain mill was in 1418. It was used for metalworking (chain mail, armour, etc.). Later it was used as a grinding and yarn spinning mill. In 1864, the chain mill was the first mill in the city to be...

show more

The first mention of the former chain mill was in 1418. It was used for metalworking (chain mail, armour, etc.). Later it was used as a grinding and yarn spinning mill. In 1864, the chain mill was the first mill in the city to be converted to steam engine power. In 1894 the building was destroyed by fire. A residential building now stands on the former site.

Address

Kettengasse
99974 Mühlhausen

Former small stone bridge mill

The former Kleine Steinbrückenmühle was located directly opposite (behind) the große Steinbrückenmühle, on the other side of the millrace. It was built around 1614 as a grinding mill. In 1862 it was converted into a wool mill and...

show more

The former Kleine Steinbrückenmühle was located directly opposite (behind) the große Steinbrückenmühle, on the other side of the millrace. It was built around 1614 as a grinding mill. In 1862 it was converted into a wool mill and spinning mill. From 1910 the mill wheels were removed and a turbine was installed. The building was later converted into a residential house. Today, no parts of the building are left, only a wall directly on the mill race bears witness to the former mill.

Address

An der Ammerbrücke
99974 Mühlhausen

Former Lohmühle

The former tan mill was driven by the oil ditch (Breitsülze old run). It was built in 1858 and had one of the highest gradients. In 1862 the building was damaged during a thunderstorm. From 1864 the building housed a steam...

show more

The former tan mill was driven by the oil ditch (Breitsülze old run). It was built in 1858 and had one of the highest gradients. In 1862 the building was damaged during a thunderstorm. From 1864 the building housed a steam spinning mill, which was operated with the help of a steam boiler. From 1912, the premises housed an agricultural enterprise. In 1954 the mill wheel was dismantled. In 1956 one could still see the weirs.

Address

Danielsberg 1
99974 Mühlhausen

Former malt mill

The former Malzmühle is also known as the Brücken- or Entenbühlmühle. It was first mentioned in 1252 and is thus one of the oldest mills in the city centre. Its use over time has also always remained the same. It was always a...

show more

The former Malzmühle is also known as the Brücken- or Entenbühlmühle. It was first mentioned in 1252 and is thus one of the oldest mills in the city centre. Its use over time has also always remained the same. It was always a malt mill. In 1914, however, the mill was demolished to make way for something new. In its place, the Entenbühl fountain was built in 1937, which can still be seen today and is a secluded spot with benches for relaxation.

Address

Brückenstraße
99974 Mühlhausen

Former Meißners Mill

The former Meißners Mill was first mentioned in 1388. It was located on the Schwemmnotte and was thus one of the old town mills. Unfortunately, it fell victim to a city fire in 1689 and burned down completely. It was then rebuilt...

show more

The former Meißners Mill was first mentioned in 1388. It was located on the Schwemmnotte and was thus one of the old town mills. Unfortunately, it fell victim to a city fire in 1689 and burned down completely. It was then rebuilt as a grinding mill. In 1885 it was closed down for a short time. Shortly thereafter, however, it continued to be used as a lime mill. The former building at Meißnersgasse 7 was demolished in 1989.

Address

Meißnersgasse
99974 Mühlhausen

Former upper mill

The first mention of the former upper mill was in 1418 as Hohe Mühle. It was first used as a tan mill and later as a grinding, machine and spinning mill (Lutteroth family). In 1983 a steam engine was installed in the mill, thus...

show more

The first mention of the former upper mill was in 1418 as Hohe Mühle. It was first used as a tan mill and later as a grinding, machine and spinning mill (Lutteroth family). In 1983 a steam engine was installed in the mill, thus modernising it. In 1922 a metal goods factory was built on the site of the upper mill. The factory was demolished in the 1970s. The Renaissance portal, which is well worth seeing, was handed over to the local history museum.

Address

Obermühlenweg
99974 Mühlhausen

Former paper mill

As a special feature, the former paper mill had its own millrace, which was branched off from the Unstrut and fed back in. Around 1450, the mill was first mentioned as an ironworks. In 1586 the then fulling mill was destroyed by...

show more

As a special feature, the former paper mill had its own millrace, which was branched off from the Unstrut and fed back in. Around 1450, the mill was first mentioned as an ironworks. In 1586 the then fulling mill was destroyed by high water, which even swept away the Ammer bridge. In 1602 the reconstruction and the versatile use as a grinding, polishing, leather fulling, brick, oil, wood and washing mill took place. In 1829 an uncle of Johann August Röbling converted the mill into a paper mill. In 1851 the mill was converted into a spinning mill. In 1865, a steam boiler was installed. Numerous floods of the Unstrut, partly also the slipping of the embankment, and fires characterize the further history of the mill. In 1924 a turbine was installed. In 1970 the mill was nationalized and became part of the VEB Textilwerke Mühlhausen. The demolition of the building took place in 2002/2003 and a reconstruction as a care facility in 2011.

Address

Papiermühlenweg 39
99974 Mühlhausen

Former pepper mill

The former pepper mill was built in 1371. It was first used as a mustard mill and later as a grinding and spice mill. From 1751 it worked as a fulling, tanning and washing mill. In 1858 a steam boiler was installed and in 1890...

show more

The former pepper mill was built in 1371. It was first used as a mustard mill and later as a grinding and spice mill. From 1751 it worked as a fulling, tanning and washing mill. In 1858 a steam boiler was installed and in 1890 the water wheel was dismantled. The demolition of the building and the construction of new buildings on the site (today's Jakobiviertel) took place in 1987. The former door lintel was preserved and is now located in the Lapidarium behind the Kornmarkt Church.

Address

Felchtaer Str. 18
99974 Mühlhausen

Former powder mill

The history of the former powder mill is unknown. It was first mentioned in 1620. It was probably only operated as a powder mill for a short time, as it would have been too dangerous due to its proximity to the city centre. Later...

show more

The history of the former powder mill is unknown. It was first mentioned in 1620. It was probably only operated as a powder mill for a short time, as it would have been too dangerous due to its proximity to the city centre. Later the mill was used as a stamping mill for dyeing wood. In 1895 the mill became municipal property. Today it is no longer preserved.

Address

Wanfrieder Str. 159
99974 Mühlhausen

Former Rabinz Mill

The former Rabin Mill is one of the little known mills in the town. It existed only for a short time and was located near the great lime tree in the Johannistal. It was built around 1700 and named after the former owner with the...

show more

The former Rabin Mill is one of the little known mills in the town. It existed only for a short time and was located near the great lime tree in the Johannistal. It was built around 1700 and named after the former owner with the name Rabinz. As it was not situated near a stream, it was powered by a spring. Unfortunately, this dried up after an earthquake.

Address

Johannistal
99974 Mühlhausen

Former Red Lion Mill

The former Rote Löwenmühle was built in 1502 and initially used as a paper mill. However, due to severe water pollution, it was converted into a grinding mill in 1580. Later it was converted into a tanning and spinning mill. From...

show more

The former Rote Löwenmühle was built in 1502 and initially used as a paper mill. However, due to severe water pollution, it was converted into a grinding mill in 1580. Later it was converted into a tanning and spinning mill. From 1902 the mill belonged to the property of an iron foundry. In the years 1958-1965 the mill technology was dismantled. Today the millstone is exhibited in the foyer of the town hall. The building was later used by VEB Blech- und Biegemaschinen. Since 1994, the building has increasingly fallen into disrepair and was finally demolished in 2007. Today there is a residential park on the former site.

Address

Zur Roten Löwenmühle 8-14
99974 Mühlhausen

Former cutting mill

The site of the former cutting mill is now home to the Swan Pond cultural site. In 1290 the mill was mentioned for the first time as Popperöder Mühle. In 1546 it was rebuilt as a cutting mill. It worked as a sawmill, the trade of...

show more

The site of the former cutting mill is now home to the Swan Pond cultural site. In 1290 the mill was mentioned for the first time as Popperöder Mühle. In 1546 it was rebuilt as a cutting mill. It worked as a sawmill, the trade of which included the production of beams, planks and floorboards from tree trunks. In 1786, a fulling mill (white tanning or leather fulling mill) was added. In 1885 a boiler house was built for a steam engine (instead of water power). Demolition took place in 1896, making room for the construction of a new inn.

Address

Schwanenteichallee 33
99974 Mühlhausen

Former bridge mill

The former Stegmühle was located in the present-day district of Mühlhausen, in Görmar, and was situated on the so-called Mühlgraben. It is most likely the mill mentioned in the document from the Mühlhausen Imperial City Archive...

show more

The former Stegmühle was located in the present-day district of Mühlhausen, in Görmar, and was situated on the so-called Mühlgraben. It is most likely the mill mentioned in the document from the Mühlhausen Imperial City Archive from 1139. It was used as a grinding, oil and tanning mill.

The mill got its name from a footbridge that crossed the Unstrut River at its location. In 1991, the mill building was demolished. Today, there are residential buildings on the former site.

Address

Stegmühle
99974 Mühlhausen OT Görmar

Former Lower Village Mill

The so-called Untere Dorfmühle was located in Görmar, which is now part of Mühlhausen. It was located close to a stone bridge over the Unstrut and was therefore also called the stone bridge mill. It was used as a grinding mill...

show more

The so-called Untere Dorfmühle was located in Görmar, which is now part of Mühlhausen. It was located close to a stone bridge over the Unstrut and was therefore also called the stone bridge mill. It was used as a grinding mill and a rolling mill. From 1802 it was listed in a survey as an oil mill. In 1883 it was converted into a wool yarn spinning mill. For many years there was industrial use on the site, which lasted until modern times. In 1990 the buildings were still used as a warehouse. In 1997 the demolition took place.

Address

Kirchberg
99974 Mühlhausen

Former windmill on the city hill

The former windmill on the Mühlhäuser Stadtberg was located on today's Goetheweg. It was built in 1859 as a Dutch tower windmill and was made of bricks. It was operated as a mill until 1890. In 1904 a coffee, milk and cake shop...

show more

The former windmill on the Mühlhäuser Stadtberg was located on today's Goetheweg. It was built in 1859 as a Dutch tower windmill and was made of bricks. It was operated as a mill until 1890. In 1904 a coffee, milk and cake shop opened. In the 80s of the 20th century it was supposed to be used for gastronomy again, but this project was not realized. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the building increasingly fell into disrepair and was renovated and converted into a residential building in 2004. With the preservation, at least a fragment of Mühlhausen mill history could be visibly preserved.

Address

Goetheweg 43a
99974 Mühlhausen

Former fulling mill

The former fulling mill was located in what is now a district of Mühlhausen, in Görmar. Görmar is also located on the Unstrut. The fulling mill was located on a side arm of the millrace in front of the Unstrut weir in Görmar. The...

show more

The former fulling mill was located in what is now a district of Mühlhausen, in Görmar. Görmar is also located on the Unstrut. The fulling mill was located on a side arm of the millrace in front of the Unstrut weir in Görmar. The manufactured whale goods belonged to the drapery trade. Even in the 19th century the mill was still used as a fulling mill. However, the mill operation ended at the latest with a sale in 1925. The building was extended and rebuilt in the years around 1990 and now houses a residential building.

Address

Walkmühlenstraße
99974 Mühlhausen OT Görmar

Former brick mill

The former brick mill was located at the Unstrut branch before the Wendewehr, an official "Mühlgraben" of about 1.6 km in length. At the Mühlgraben once 5 mills had their trade. In 1355 the brick mill was established, which had...

show more

The former brick mill was located at the Unstrut branch before the Wendewehr, an official "Mühlgraben" of about 1.6 km in length. At the Mühlgraben once 5 mills had their trade. In 1355 the brick mill was established, which had the grinding of raw clay as its trade. The name of the brick street, which is mentioned for the first time in 1604, can be traced back to the brick mill. There is no evidence of a brickworks or brickyard. The naming of the Wendewehr, as the "Ziegelmüllerswehr" is also traced back to the brick mill. Already in 1577 the mill no longer existed.

Address

An der Unstrut
99974 Mühlhausen